Q&A — Lynsie Clott

A chat with the ones who know best

We often hear about the perception that UI students lack involvement. Do you feel that’s true?

I don’t like to make this assumption about the general student body since we don’t have data, only anecdotes.

Personally, I’m mostly surrounded by highly involved students, so I do tend to see the interest there. What we do know is that involvement in campus activities and programming is down. When I talk to colleagues in Student Affairs and other non-academic units, they express the same concerns.

This is also a national trend, not something isolated to UI. The million-dollar question is “why?” Is it truly that student’ interest in being involved has declined? Is it that we increased the amount of programming and so everyone’s numbers are lower? Do we need to change the way we market our activities so students are more informed?

Lynsie Clott | Assistant Director of Leadership and Student Organizations

Another hypothesis, that was discussed in the Chronicle of Higher Education somewhat recently, is that student have more obligations and expectations placed on them with fewer (mostly financial) resources today than in the past. College is more expensive than ever and cost of living has stagnated. This means more student have to find jobs and may have less time to invest in co-curricular activities on top of their academics.

We also know university demographics are changing, we have more non-traditional students, transfer students, first generation students and non-white students who are accessing higher education, which is wonderful, but we need to make sure our programming is appealing and appropriate for them as well.

How do you encourage students to get involved?

Our office specifically focuses on our six areas: Center for Volunteerism and Social Action, ASUI student government, Vandal Entertainment, leadership programs, student organizations, and last but certainly not least, is Student Media.

When we meet with students who are looking to get involved we encourage them to seek these opportunities as well as opportunities outside of our office such as Study Abroad, Outdoor Programs, Intramurals, ROTC, Marching Band, Spirit Squad, New Student Orientation Leader, and the Sustainability Center to name a few. We also connect them with important offices within the Equity and Diversity Unit such as the Women’s Center, OMA office, or LGBTQ office. When we talk to students that walk through our door we take the time to get to know them, ask about their major, their interests and hobbies, extra-curricular activities they were involved in while in high school or at their previous college. If they have an interest in a club that doesn’t exist, we walk them through the steps to starting a new club.

How can the Department of Student Involvement help students get involved?

They just need to swing by our office. We live in the Idaho Commons 302, above Einstein’s and next to the Vandal Success Center. No appointment needed.

We welcome all students and it is literally our job to help any and all students find ways to get involved, whether it’s in our events programs or another departments. We know what’s happening on campus, who to connect students with, and show students how to use resources such as VandalSync so they can find future opportunities themselves. If they prefer, they can always email us at [email protected] check out events by logging into VandalSync at www.vandalSync.orgsync.comwith their UI net ID and password.

Are there any involvement opportunities students should keep their eyes on this semester?

Yes, we always have fabulous programs and events coming out of our department. We have three amazing Weekend ASB programs and one summer program brought to you by our Center for Volunteerism and Social Action. Vandal Entertainment is bringing Woke & Broke/Joseph Tran who is a mind-blowing magician this Friday! Later this semester they will host trivia nights, a pool party, Mom’s Weekend event, and of course Finals Fest. ASUI is taking applications for ASUI Senate and keep an eye out for the ASUI Pres/Vice Pres elections coming in April. Our Leadership Programs has two more Vandals Lead sessions on March 6 (Innovative Leadership) and March 20 (Art of Negotiation). These opportunities are always advertised on our website (www.uidaho.edu/getinvolved) on our social media, in flyers around campus, on flat screens in the Commons and Pitman Center, and on VandalSync.

The best way to end the year is without a doubt, Finals Fest. It’s the best concert and party at the U of I each year. It’s such a fun way for students to hang out with their friends, enjoy a free concert, and close out the end the year with a bang.

Some of my personal favorite spring events outside of our department is Luna Fest and SAAM Slam from the Women’s Center as well as the numerous outdoor adventure trips through the UI Outdoor Programs.

For students who are graduating this year and looking to find some more last-minute involvement opportunities — what would you suggest?

It depends on what they are look to do. If it’s involvement that’s just fun entertainment, then definitely keep a close eye and the numerous daytime and evening events from Vandal Entertainment. If it’s something super meaningful and transformational to end their college experience with, then an ABS trip is the right choice. If they’d like to boost their professional development skills and resume, then attend our leadership programs and join a club.

Why is it important students get involved during their college careers?

Involvement outside the classroom is critical. From the mountains of studies and data, student affairs professionals know it enhances the overall college experience for students through building connection and community, improves their classroom performance, builds their resume and personal and professional development, and gives them a leg up post-college during interviews and job searches. Employers are looking for involved students because they know they are more likely to have developed and practiced crucial professional and leadership skills that can really only be learned outside the classroom.