OPINION: Christ Church is a hidden monster

Christ Church has started to become more aggressive in recent years

A sign for services on the Christ Church building in downtown Moscow | Connor Anderson | Argonaut

Christ Church has been in Moscow for nearly 50 years. During those 50 years Doug Wilson, leader of Christ Church, has grown his empire significantly and dangerously. 

Christ Church has a huge effect on Moscow and surrounding towns but recently has come into the national spotlight for an event that happened in Sep. 2020 

On Sep. 23, 2020, members of Christ Church held what is called a “Psalm Sing” event in which they gathered in front of Moscow City Hall. 

During that event, multiple people were arrested due to non-compliance with law enforcement. Three of the members who were arrested went on to file a civil lawsuit for wrongful arrest against the city of Moscow. 

Instead of dealing with the lawsuit and following a procedure to prove that it wasn’t a wrongful arrest, the city decided to settle outside of court and pay $300,000 to dismiss all claims. 

This is only one aspect of how Christ Church is seemingly untouchable in Moscow. 

Christ Church also has a huge number of businesses in Moscow that are owned by members of the church, or Doug Wilson himself. 

Christ Church has been slowly buying up businesses in downtown to connect to their greater web of businesses. There is now an online movement to share businesses that are connected to Christ Church to avoid them as best people can.  

Christ Church has these businesses in multiple different branches ranging from construction to restaurants. Many of these businesses may not have an official connection to Christ Church, but some do. 

With the combination of settlements and sheer number of businesses in Moscow, it seems as though Christ Church is starting to take over. 

However, there is a major pushback coming from students, residents and other churches in Moscow causing Christ Church to be struggling at turning Moscow into their “Christian town” as they say in their mission statement. 

It’s not just Moscow however, a neighboring city, Troy, has started to feel the impact of Christ Church and started to push back as well. 

In late June of this year, residents of Troy voiced their opinions in an article with Yahoo News. Residents talked about how they were worried of Christ Church coming to Troy because they were looking to “…take over the whole town…” 

Christ Church is a plague on not just Moscow but also all surrounding areas as they look to expand and bring more residents under their umbrella. There have even been some instances of Christ Church members in Pullman, a neighboring college town in Washington, attempting to gain supporters. 

It’s not just regional organizations that are writing about Christ Church. They have reached national levels with pieces done by Meet The Press in Sep. 2022. 

Christ Church is a hidden monster that has made its way into Moscow. They are attempting to make their own Christian town separate from other cities, and above the laws of the U.S. as Doug Wilson says in that interview with Meet the Press. 

Businesses owned by members of Christ Church may be hard to distinguish, but if people can pick them out and want to send Christ Church a message, they should spread the word and stop supporting those businesses. 

Connor Anderson can be reached at [email protected] 

About the Author

Connor Anderson Junior at the University of Idaho, majoring in Architecture. I am the Design Editor for the 2023-2024 academic year.

21 replies

1. Patrick Threewit

I've only read a few comments, but I did watch that documentary online and I sure hope you folks in Latah County can keep up the fight because Christian Nationalists are now beginning to come to my county--Idaho County. We do not ever need this nation to be declared a Christian Country or a Christian theocracy. I'm a libertarian who supports you. I don't have money but I will soon put a letter to the editor in "The Idaho County Free Press and :The Clearwater Progress."

2. Tommy

My sister and her husband and family were members there for many years. She colluded with my father and tricked me out of my inheritance. So I had to change my name and leave the family. She really feels like a cultist, very withdrawn and both of them have personality disorders. I appreciate folks shining the light on this church.

3. Kg

Christ Churchers are the biggest trolls on the internet. Clearly, they pay members to troll for anything factual about their church online and on social media and write responses about what “victims” they are.

4. Steve

Stacie is wrong about them supporting pedophiles. From the following article: Christ Church later stating quote, “With regard to the criminal charges that were filed, to which Alex has pled not guilty, we are content to let the court do its work. With regard to the other surrounding sins by which Alex disqualified himself, humiliated his family, and embarrassed his church, he has sought our forgiveness and we have extended it.” https://klewtv.com/news/local/christ-church-speaks-out-after-former-deacon-lloyd-charged-with-possession-of-child-porn

5. B

Ahhh I can see the haters of God come out in full force including the author of this article talk about a one sided opinion but haters of God are always one sided

6. Stacie

I hope that the people pushing back have done a little digging into what goes on with the church. Start with the interview where Doug Wilson (self appointed pastor) flat out says they want to make Moscow a “Christian” town. Then, read on to the rampant sexual assaults and grooming of children from elementary through college (they have their own schools/college). Then look how much money they made in 2021. Look at the pedophiles that they have supported to get out of prison. I could go on and on and on about the issues with this CULT. Please, do some research before claiming this is an attack on Christianity. It is an attack on a cult and the danger they pose.

7. CarrelDawn Cline

The Christ Church buildings that used to be businesses do not pay taxes. Have members of the church been elected to the city council, or, other offices?

1. Serge

This sounds really hypocritical coming from someone who is a student at the University of Idaho. Almost sounds as if the University of Idaho is afraid that someone else will replace it's influence on Moscow, a power struggle of sorts and thus an article to smear the opponent. I also have a family member who attends the University of Idaho and can tell you that the university and the environment he has been in at the university have destroyed him as a person, as has happened to many other young students who have become suicidal and don't see a reason to live because of the ideology the university has been promoting and teaching. So it's a bit odd to read an article from the university that calls a Christian church a cult when the university itself has all of the influence in town and provides cult like experiences to its students. Furthermore, this article sounds like an old Soviet propaganda piece against Christians. Can you explain why exactly are you concerned that Christians own business and real estate? And why are you calling others to boycott Christian businesses? It sounds very much like what the Nazi's were doing to the Jews in Germany. Or what the Communists would do to anyone who believes in God in many other countries. Just because members of Christ Church own a business in town does not make that business property of Christ Church. How many businesses throughout Moscow are in some way are affiliated with the University of Idaho? Will you now write another article that warns people that the University of Idaho has taken over the town? This is really childish. I'm not part of Christ Church by the way, I actually live in another state but I have been to Moscow and have been to Christ Church gatherings and can see the positive impact they are having on the community.

8. Ron

This is a copy and paste from the Argonaut files. Is it still in effect for both the writer and the subject(s) in the published articles? Also, do Argonaut opinion writers use mostly AI to gather information or do they go into the community itself to research it? I am not a member of Christ Church. COPIED AND PASTED: Tag: christ church OPINION: The importance of free speech Doug Wilson's appearance on campus sparks debate on free speech Editorial Board 02.05.2020 Over 200 years ago the first amendment was ratified, allowing everyone to speak their mind freely, regardless of what beliefs they hold. As a student newspaper, we have a deep respect for the first amendment — it allows us to do our job.

9. David Schultz

I have never attended Christ Church first of all, but there is not one single fact in this "opinion" piece that is intended to slander a local church. As an outsider, here's my personal observations. Moscow has a small but vocal p population of people who are terrified of Jesus and embrace idiotic lies of radical groups like BLM and Antifa. They ignorantly fly flags supporting pedophilia thinking it's a LGBT support flag. They don't really do any research into what they support as long as they are conforming to the popular trends of social media. There are plenty who still wear masks driving in cars alone. They seem jealous of the happiness of the majority of Christians in the town and their success and can only enjoy their life if they are trashing Christians. They are the ones who have no tolerance to anyone who has a different opinion.

1. Jc

13% of this country identifies as Christian. And the MAJORITY don't want someone else's ideology shoved down their throat in a FREE country. And it is pretty remarkable that you attack the lgbtqia+ flags with pedophilia slander. When the entire country knows a very large majority of pedophilia and child abuse happen under the guise of the church. So if FREE American citizens decide against religious intolerance (which is anti christian) and chooses to pursue whatever endeavors or support whoever they want. It is because america is FREE from or for religion. And evidently the FREE people in Moscow and Troy don't want the faux christian ideals taking over in their town. Just remember, there are more of us than you and we will not stand idly by while a religious cult injects its ideas of morality, and ethics onto FREE people while having none!

10. Renee Leisinger

Great article! Thank you.