“A sheer force”: O’Neal leaves legacy at UI 

Shawn O’Neal will work as a media manager for the American Cancer Society

Director of Student Involvement Shawn O’Neal | Courtesy | DSI

Katie Hettinga worked under Shawn O’Neal as the ASUI vice president from 2021-2022 and as a DSI student staff in Fall 2022. 

Shawn O’Neal, a passionate student advocate and dedicated advisor, is leaving the university. 

Following a 19-year career at University of Idaho, Director of Student Involvement Shawn O’Neal will be leaving for a position as Senior Regional Media Advocacy Manager with the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. “It’s the opportunity to do something potentially more important than higher education even. I mean, working to fight cancer … It’s pretty cool.” O’Neal said. “I’ve always tried to convince students to be part of something bigger and I’ve always wanted to be part of something bigger.” 

His booming voice and care for the student body have defined O’Neal’s time at UI. His legacy will be a long record of student achievement. Whether O’Neal was challenging students to make the most out of their current roles or find new ways to get involved, he made a living out of changing lives. 

O’Neal was hired as the Student Media general manager in 2004. His position was primarily advising while he also taught a media writing course. 

Elizabeth McManus was the editor-in-chief of both Blot Magazine and The Argonaut during her time as a student in the early 2010s. She first met O’Neal when she was a student in his class. 

“He’s absolutely the reason I joined student media to begin with,” McManus said. “He’s just a sheer force, so whether or not you want to do something, by the time you’re done talking to him, you want to do it and you feel like you can.” 

In 2014, O’Neal started to transition to a broader student involvement role.  

Kaitlyn Krasselt was the 2014-2015 editor-in-chief of The Argonaut during O’Neal’s last year advising Student Media.  

“I credit my experience at The Argonaut a lot for the success I had in my career,” Krasselt said. “It was a hands-on learning experience for me as a student, and (Shawn’s) guidance as the advisor was a huge part of that.”  

After two years working as interim director, O’Neal became the full-time director of student involvement and ASUI advisor in 2016. His last day in the role will be Friday, May 12. 

“Shawn is always ready and willing to have a conversation with any student he comes across. By being active on campus Shawn has encouraged a multitude of students to get involved,” Tanner McClain, current ASUI President, wrote in a resolution recognizing O’Neal. 

Former ASUI Senator Teddy Ertel expressed gratitude for O’Neal helping him both personally and professionally.  

“Anytime that I went and asked him a question about a project or just about life, I’d have an hour-long conversation with him,” Ertel said.  

Ertel said O’Neal helped him work through his emotions surrounding the murders last year and helped him find a job to make some extra money.  

“He helped me tremendously in the ASUI process. I didn’t know what I was getting into,” Ertel said. “He helped me figure out what I was going to say before going on the Senate floor and helped me with level-headedness.”  

All of his former students expressed sadness that future Vandals will not be connected with O’Neal, but said they were excited for his next chapter.  

“I think what he really thrives on is just advocating for people in general and advocating for what he thinks is right. When something is as high stakes as cancer and trying to get more money for research and better policies in place, I think it’s going to be a really good fit for him,” 2010-2011 Argonaut Editotor-in-Chief Kelcie Moseley-Morris said. 

The next director of student involvement has not yet been hired.  

“Listen to the students and just hear what they want to do. They will guide our work,” O’Neal said as advice to the next director.  

O’Neal often says that students should make “guys like him” uncomfortable. His focus on student priorities has reinforced student pushes for progress on campus. 

“I get to work with some of these students who are so much smarter,” O’Neal said. “It’s so good to be part of these student successes that are just so cool. That’s the best part.” 

Katie Hettinga can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @katie_hettinga