This week in brief

UI Administrator named AAAS fellow

Vice President for Research and Economic Development Janet Nelson was named a 2018 Fellow of the American Association for Advancements of Science (AAAS) for her contributions in the chemistry field.

Nelson was elected by the AAAS council for her distinguished contributions to inorganic chemistry, national leadership across academic, government, non-profits and industry communities.

Through her tenure,  UI’s research enterprises have grown by 12.3 percent in the past two years. The 2017 Fiscal Year saw $109.5 million in research expenditures.

Nelson and other fellows will be honored on Feb. 16, 2019 at the Washington, D.C. AAAS annual meeting.

The hate we see

Campus Conversations, an opportunity for students, faculty and members of the community will focus on responding to hate and bias at 12:30 p.m. Thursday in the Idaho Commons Whitewater room.

The conversation will include recent hate crimes across the nation and the recent “It’s okay to be white” posters in the community.

Holiday concert Friday

The 29th Jazz Holiday concert will take place from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Friday at the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center.

Five hundred youth from across the region will join faculty and students from the Lionel Hampton School of Music to perform holiday tunes. The event is free and open to the public. All cash donations benefit the Lionel Hampton School of Music.

Fall Commencement to celebrate 578 graduates Saturday

Fall commencement ceremony opens at 11:00 a.m. for the public Saturday.

Eligible graduating students applied for 430 bachelor’s degrees, 125 master’s degree, 25 doctoral degrees, four law degrees and three specialist degrees.

UI is also awarding two honorary doctorates — a honorary Doctor of Science to Dayaldas T. Meshri, founder and president of the Global Sindhi Foundation and owner of Advance Research Chemicals Inc.

Maj. Gen. Erik C. Peterson, commander of Division West of the U.S. Army and former director of Army Aviation on the Army Staff of the Pentagon is being awarded an honorary Doctor of Administrative Science.

Retired Idaho athletics coach and administrator Kathy Clark will be awarded a president’s medallion.

ASUI executive applications open

ASUI is looking to fill and appoint three positions.

For Vice Chair of Philanthropy board, the chosen applicant will serve for a year and half starting in the spring 2019 semester and will move up to chair in Fall 2019. This position works to manage and put together events for ASUI, such as Vandalthon.

ASUI is also seeking a Funding Board Vice Chair to directly assist student-led organizations in acquiring funding. A Faculty Senate representative position is also open. Faculty Senators attend Senate meetings to represent the student voice.

Complete job descriptions and applications can be found online on VandalSync.

Nomination period open for local Human Rights award

The Latah County Human Rights Task Force is requesting nominations for the 2019 Rosa Parks Human Rights Achievement Award.

Two recipients are selected for the award each year. One award is given to a recipient who has shown a significant commitment and achievement in human rights within Latah County. A second award is given to a university or high school student who shows promise in the field.

The criteria for selection include length of active participation, record of leadership and expressions of courage and commitment in opposition of bigotry and celebration of diversity.

Nominations can be sent to Joann Muneta at [email protected] by Jan. 9. Nominations should include a one to two-page letter describing the background and accomplishments of the nominee.

UI grad to screen newest film

Megan Griffiths, a Seattle-based film and television director, will present her newest film “Sadie” from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Dec. 10 in the Borah Theater. “Sadie” was the recipient of the 2018 Gryphon Jury Award. Griffith will answer questions following the showing. The event is hosted by UI Film and Television Studies.

Athena to host social

Athena, a group for staff, faculty, graduate students and retirees of the University of Idaho is hosting a social 5 p.m. Thursday at Hunga Dunga Brewing Co.

Bobbi Hughes, president of Athena, said the social is open to anyone interested in learning about Athena.

Hughes said Athena offers opportunities to expand networks, attend workshops, a structure to help advocate for workplace needs, concerns and scholarship opportunities.

“Athena is a University of Idaho association of staff and faculty committed to promoting an inclusive and equitable climate for women,” according to the Athena website.

Membership is open to anyone who wants to promote inclusivity and equality at the university, Hughes said.

Hughes said the opportunities which joining Athena has given her have been invaluable. Joining Athena gave her the opportunity to meet people she would not have met otherwise, and it has helped to expand personal and professional networks.

Ellamae Burnell and Kali Nelson can be reached at [email protected]