Lindsey Treffry | Crumbs
Everyone needs to contribute to the Easter cooking festivities, and this Cadbury-like recipe will please the chocolate-loving masses. Get ready for a chocolate-y mess — on your hands and face — if you like to taste test.
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or corn syrup)
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow or orange food coloring (optional)
- 1 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips or a 12-ounce bar
- In a large bowl mix the syrup, margarine and shortening with a hand mixer.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Add food coloring if you want a yoke-like look.
- Making sure your hands are clean and cold, take small pieces of the mixture and roll into egg-shaped balls.
- Place on a greased sheet and freeze for at least an hour.
- In a medium sized bowl, melt chocolate in the microwave.
- Using a toothpick, dip each ball into the chocolate and place on wax paper.
- You can also use an egg mold (found at Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics).
- Freeze for 30 minutes or until hard and wrap in foil.
- Store in the refrigerator.