Emily Vaartstra | crumbs
Imagine biting into an explosion of fresh blackberries mixed with the sweetness of a thick golden brown cake.Southern cobblers are always a great way to finish off a meal, and they are a perfect comfort food for warming up the soul. The prep time for this recipe is so short. It only takes 5-10 minutes till the intoxicating aroma of sweet blackberries escapes from the oven and fills the room. The best part? You can substitute the blackberries for your favorite cobbler fruit, and it becomes a personalized sweet treat.
- 2-3 cups fresh or thawed blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- fresh heavy whip cream or ice cream
- Place the butter in an 8×8 baking dish, put the dish in the oven while the oven heats up to 350 degrees.
- Once the butter is melted take it out of the oven, place the blackberries on the butter, and sprinkle with 1/2 a cup of sugar (cutting back on the sugar for this step is advised) and stir together.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together rest of sugar (1 cup), flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the milk stir till smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the blackberries but do not stir.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Eat with heavy whip cream or vanilla ice cream and enjoy.