Crumbs | Brita Olson
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods, but until this year I only knew one way to cook them. Growing up we only ate them with a turkey dinner, coated in butter and brown sugar. Although, I would never turn them down, it’s fun to add a little variety into my sweet potato repertoire. Sweet potatoes cakes are a fantastic addition. They are very versatile — a simple and delicious addition to many meals. I made a big batch and by the time the leftovers were gone, I’d eaten sweet potatoes as a side, a full meal and on a sandwich (think sweet potato burger).
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2-3 cups kale or spinach, chopped/shredded
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop 1/4 cup onto a greased baking sheet and flatten with spatula or bottom of measuring cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 10 additional minutes.
Note: My oven tends to be fairly hot and I baked mine for a bit less time because they were starting to brown. Definitely check occasionally to prevent burning.