Brita Olson | Crumbs
Courtesy of my mother and 4 B’s Restaurant where she got her recipe, I bring you the ultimate comfort food. I’ve never been able to understand the attraction of store-bought tomato soup. Mmmm… straight from the can? It’s not for me, because I know it can be so much better. I have to admit, the key is probably the cream. My mother uses half and half, which does the trick and is a bit less rich. She’s not quite Paula Dean, but her food still sure does taste good. From my childhood to your kitchen, here’s a little bit a home-style comfort. Side with a grilled cheese sandwich or enjoy on its own.
- 32 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 9 ounces chicken broth
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion (add some extra if you like)
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 2 cups cream (or half and half)
- Mix tomatoes, chicken broth, butter, sugar, onions and soda.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Heat cream separately in a double boiler (or microwave).
- Add cream to the hot tomato mixture.
- Serve and feel the comfort.