Aleya Ericson | Crumbs
Winter is cold in Moscow and there is no better way to warm up than with a delicious cup of soup. This recipe is perfect because it is filling and not as salty as many other clam chowder recipes can be.
- 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 servings